Electronic mail, commonly called email or e-mail, is a way of exchanging digital messages from one person to one or more recipients. Email is sent and received using the Internet or other computer networks.
Getting an Email Address
Many websites on the internet offer email services for free; allowing you to set up an account, and use their website to check your email whenever you like. Some of these websites include:
You will have to register on the site, choosing a user name/email address and password.
It is important that you choose a secure password; experts recommend a combination of letters, numbers and symbols.
Do not write down your password where someone else can find it, or they will be able to look at your emails and also send emails out that look like they are written by you.
You will choose your own email address.
- This can be any words you like; many times people use their first and last names, or first initial and last name.
- You will use your email for job hunting, to send your resume or message to an employer, so you do not want your email address to have anything that can be seen as offensive or unprofessional.
- If you have a less professional email address for personal use, you will want to create a separate email account and email address.
Account names are always the name you’ve chosen, then the symbol “@” (which carries the same meaning as the word “at”), then the name of the website you are using your account through.
- For example if somebody’s name is John Smith, they may make an email account on yahoo.com and it would look like this: email@example.com
Writing An Email
- You will start by choosing “new email”. This is what the screen you get will look like
- Your email address will automatically show up in the “FROM” line
- You put the email address of the person you are emailing in the “TO” line
- If there is more than one recipient, you can put all their email addresses on the same line
- Put a short (no more than ten words) explanation of the subject of the email in the “SUBJECT” line
- Write the email in the large section below the gray header